There are two candidates running for this position.
- Jayne Uerling is a strong liberal whom WE believe supports all of the progressive farm interests. She spoke out against the Concrete Nor’West rights to continue gravel mining interests in the south county. The Whatcom County Council voted to deny Concrete a rezone that would have allowed them their rights to apply for new permits for their gravel mining in the future.
- Larry Helm who is a strong conservative who owns a small farm/ranch near Squalicum Lake. Larry raises beef cattle. Larry is “interested in getting government to consider economic impacts as a priority when adding fees or environmental regulations to agricultural requirements.” People who know Larry well believe that he is passionate about all of the issues and attacks that are being made against our local farmers.
There are two ways for you to cast your vote:
- Vote in-person in the Whatcom Conservation District's conference room at 6975 Hannegan Road, Lynden, WA.
- Vote by mail. Your ballot request must be received by February 29, 2012 at 4:00 pm in order to vote this way.
There are three ways to request your mail-in ballot:
- By phone - call 354-2035 x 3.
- In person - come to the office, 6975 Hannegan Rd, Lynden, WA 98264 and request a mail-in ballot
- At the Whatcom Conservation District website - Use the ballot request link. This is our preferred method to ask for a mail-in ballot. It is more efficient and is more accurate.